Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Driver's door

Heres what a stock truck looks like in the window area:

Heres the only shot I have of shaving the door handle on this side, I'll go more in depth on the passenger side:


This one shows a fit problem between the door and bed:


Heres how I solved the misfit, a little slice and splice!

After grinding, and a coat of etching primer to keep rust away:



Now I had another issue to deal with. The door hits the jamb above the striker, here:




I made a line with a Sharpie and sliced it there then welded it back together, allowing clearance. Didn't get an after pic, but I may add one later. It was easy since it was on a corner and it came out smooth.


There was a lot of work on the roof area, and there will be a post covering that but for now, this door fits the to the roof pretty well after that work. I did finish up the rounded top front door corner, and that will be covered on the passenger door post. These pics show some of the bondo work on the door, and the gaps around the window frame during that process.





First application of polyester primer:

Of course it needed some more mud on the roof to make it match up right-


I whooped it though. I used etch primer to help me see if I had nailed the gap:


Heres another (fast forward) pic of it in polyester after that, from a distance. Only one I've got. But man, look at those cool lines!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a great information about custom bodywork. Mask your car door, hood fast & easily by tube tape Automotive Masking Solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do masking door jambs, soft paint edge, trunk masking there are many other uses for Tube Tape.

    ReplyDelete